Saturday, March 27, 2010

The events of today...

I wasn't sure what I was going to write about today but there was a few things that came to mind, but as the day unfolded it came to me....This was my day:
It all started by doing a lovely pomegranate piece on this lovely gal. We had a really nice time. A nice conversation about relationships and other worldly things... oh yes, and we talked about our cats too.
Then this older woman came in that I tattooed a few months back that said her boyfriend wants her to get her tattoo touched up. I took a look at it, thought it looked great. But if that's what her boyfriend wants for her tattoo...
I plan on letting my opinions fly on this blog, but I'm going to skip that one! ...Actually, I'm not. When your tattoo belongs on your body, it doesn't matter what your boyfriend or girlfriend says what they want. It matters what you think of your piece...Right? This happens alot more than I would like it to. I'm going to stop there.
Another woman came in that wants to get a goddess piece started on her back with some beautiful floral work...and another consultation for a young girl who wants a plumeria for her very first tattoo. Quite a few women came into the shop today with ideas. I think its great that so many women are getting tattooed. Hell yeah!
The consultations I had today- some very successful some a little rough, it occurs to me that I really want to write about the process of getting the tattoo that you really want!
After all these consultations, at the end of the day I was finally able to crack a beer and let my hair down...It was a nice day to end off the week.
I look forward to writing tomorrow evening about tips on getting tattoos from the ground up. We will be talking about how to be really prepared for your piece!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lady!

    Thanks for the mention in your blog. BTW, I'm completely LOVING my pomegranates! I am healed and ready for color, so if you want to see me sooner, that'd be cool. Saturdays are not the only day I can come - so call me.

    I do have a comment about your client that came in whose "boyfriend wanted her tattoo touched up". Believe me, I'm one of the most independent women you'll meet, so I'm feeling ya -our bodies belong to us and we are in control of it! I couldn't agree with you more... but here's a hard one for some: speaking their truth.

    It may have been HER truth that she wanted more color in her piece, but she didn't know how to tell you without feeling like she was insulting your work. She may not get the disconnect. Saying, "I'd like my pumpkin brighter orange" does not equal "I don't like the way you did my tattoo".

    Communication is so hard, and when you're speaking about art to the artist, I would imagine some folks do whatever they can to sugar coat their comments or remove themselves (or pass the buck to a boyfriend) from the request, critique or comment.

    I'd like to say that Hal and I are thrilled to have met you. (Thank you, Cynthia!) It is a blessing that the artist that is embedding these amazing symbols into our bodies is such a remarkable, thoughtful, deep - yet present - old soul. As a woman, I can't even imagine anyone but you, a spiritual, witchy, goddess - disguised as a rocker, doing my work.

    I'm looking forward to our journey together in and out of the shop.

    Blessings,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elizabeth, yes, It can easily be that people will say someone elce wants them to do something because they can not say for themselves that they actually want to do it. This is common enough...Either way, I recommend people specifically saying what their needs are when it comes to tattoo's. Which is my point about writing that experience on the blog here. It is all to open people up about communicating about there tattoos and working with tattooers.

    ReplyDelete